Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Spilling Open
by Sabrina Ward Harrison

My friend Tammy showed me this book. It's the journal of a 19 year old that she published at 25 years of age. It's a work of art. Amazing & inspiring.

I've only read a few entries but here's a taste of what she's written:

"I sat on the bench outside of class today and talked to Jon. I read to him from my journal, it was the part about the accordion player I was watching on the street last weekend. He said that an accordion is such a perfect metaphor for love, because you are always opening, and closing, shifting and getting air, and that's how the music happens. True."


Sabrina writes a lot about accepting and loving who you are. More treats:

"If we let ourselves be truly seen than we can be truly loved."

"I'm afraid to show you who I really am, because if I show you who I really am, you might not like it and that's all I've got."

"I want to stop sucking in- stop holding my breath- stop covering up. Let g0- it isn't worth it. I can't think of one good reason to keep up the act of being more (or less) than I need. If I can't love myself... then he certainly can't love me."

"Trying to change myself to fit some ideal seems to be an endless and dehydrating way to live."

Does this drawing of a woman look familiar? She did the art for one of the albums for Sixpence None the Richer.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Sounds like a very cool book. I'm putting it on my post-seminary reading list. I'll have many hours previously devoted to studying to fill... :)