Monday, December 18, 2006

Theology has always been important to me. I really value what I learned in high school through a church Bible study and all I learned at Covenant College. In the last two years I’ve wanted to see theology have practical implications. In the face of life, hardships, death, disappointments how do the truths of theology make a difference in the way I live?

My pastor in Philly gave me a book called The Practical Calvinist. It’s a book that colleagues of D. Clair Davis put together upon his 30 years of teaching at Westminster Theological seminary. Clair Davis wrote an article for the Presbyterian Journal on December 3, 1986 titled "What's so good about being a Calvinist?"

Davis writes that Calvinism applies the Bible where we need it most. "Think through the basics. Jesus died for you personally (Personal Atonement). He loves you, not what he can get out of you (Unconditional Election). He pours out his love on every bit of you, not just on what you think is your sweeter and nicer side (Total Depravity). His love is stronger than all your doubt and foolishness and fear put together (Irresistible Grace). He keeps on loving you, all the way through to the end (Perseverance of the Saints). That's the Five Points of your Father's love!"

No comments: